Lawyer Francis-xavier Sosu was born on 12th Feb, 1979 in Accra New Town To  Comfort Adzivor from Keji and  Augustine Talkanu Sosu from Denu

He had six (6) siblings plus one adopted child.
We caught up with him in an interview anchored by Robert Obiri popularly known as Jamal

NB : Robert Jama-RJ
Lawyer Francis-Xavier Sosu – LF

RJ-Can you tell us a little about your educational background ?

LF – I began nursery at Mmofrakyepen Preparatory School when I was 8years old. I started late in life because most of my childhood years were spent on selling in the Malam Atta market and hawking on the streets of Accra.
Currently I hold Bachelor of Arts (BA) (Honors) in Sociology, Bachelor of Law (LLB) (Honors), and Master of Laws (LLM), Oil and Gas all from the University of Ghana.

I began my law Career at Logan & Associates where i did my pupilage and worked for about 18 months before Founding the F-X Law & Associates in 2012.
Currently I am the Managing Partner of F-X Law & Associates (Human Rights and Public Interest Law Firm), with five (5) Partners

 I naturally want to serve others and fight for the vulnerable in society, the reason he chose HUMAN RIGHTS and PUBLIC INTEREST LAW as his passion.

I am also an  ardent advocate for Human right, Child and Social Protection.

I Founded the Treasure of Life Foundation based in the USA and headquartered in Ghana to champion my social protection campaigns.

RJ – Tell us a little about how your parents became slaves in a shrine / a little about the struggles they went through

LF – Both of my parents were uneducated and belonged to very fetish background. My grandmother was a queen of 57 idols whilst my grand father was the custodian of Torgbui Zikpi, represented by the royal piton. It is believed that this idol was imported from Dahome. My mother as a little child was given as an atonement for the sins of her forefathers and had to be a slave to the shrine until she was released when she was about 17years old. Both uneducated, dad decided to learn a trade and trained in tailoring. Mum however after her release from the shrine resorted to petty trading as a means of survival. Till date most of her mates call her “vodosi” literally meaning servant of the gods.

RJ – Tell us a little about the difficulties you went through  (being a street child,selling on the roadside etc.

LF – We were six children with one adopted child. Life was very difficult and challenging because my parents were not gainfully employed. My sisters and I had to assist mum in her trading ventures. Unfortunately our eldest sister could not join because she was blind. I was the third born. My sister and I had to assist mum on daily basis to sell at the Mallam Atta market. I used to sell pepper, tomatoes, onions, fresh fish among others for survival. After awhile and with the passage of time the job options change and at times I was pushing truck. During evenings I sold kenkey, fish and sometimes Kerosine. I mostly combined these jobs with schooling and life was generally a matter of survival.

RJ –  In spite of these challenges, what pushed you and motivated you to keep your eyes on education ?

LF – I found motivation in school and that kept me always in school always. Even when I was sick I will go to school. My teachers were friendly and supported me. I was getting Good marks and that built confidence in me. The pain and stress of being on the street and hawking everyday were replaced by joy and fulfillment each time I went to school. I realized that if anything could come out of my life someday it can only be through school.

I also saw in New Town where we lived that those who were in school were more respected and looked decent than those of us not in school. When I started school I was determined to make the best out of it and that is why today I have this far.
RJ – Tell us about how you ended up in an Orphanage

LF – I was at the verge of dropping out of school at St. John’s Grammar School, Achimota when the Village of Hope came to my rescue.

I recall that it was when I was in St. John’s JSS, Kokomlemle that I became a complete street child. My parents had to move out of our family house to Taifa Borkina. I could not move to live with them because that will mean I will have to stop schooling. That was how I ended up at the Malam Atta market. Night and day the market became my home. Whilst in the Senior high school I had graduated from living at Malam Atta market to living in a small wooden kiosk at Kotoba.

When when I became the Senior Boys Prefect and the SRC (Zone 5), President I was still sleeping in that wooden kiosk at Kotobabi and would sometimes beg for money before I get a car to school.
Due to my situation, I have never been able to pay school fees. Teachers who come to sack students for fees would often give me hot lashes but I always returned to school. I was a chronic fees defaulter. Apart from my admission fees I had never paid any other fees throughout my period at St. John’s Grammar.
It was in the midst of this desperation that our school told us of the the need to pay our Registration fees for the final examination. Though the Headmistress of the school had shielded me throughout the period it was obvious had no choice than to pay the said fees. It was at this point that Mr Roland Bulley who was the a teacher and also a house parent at the Village of Hope orphanage introduced me to the orphanage which subsequently adopted me.

RJ – You grew up amid social miscreants -drug addicts and drug pushers ,alcoholics , thieves and the likes , Why didn’t you give in to those things or what prevented you?

LF – I had strong Christian values and loved Church in the midst of my challenges. The fear of God and desire to pursue the future without distractions helped me. 

RJ – You lived and studied at a market place and you were able to pass your B.E.C.E with distinction. How did you do that /what’s the secret?

LF – Determination and focus. I could have blamed everyone for my plight but that wouldn’t solve the problem. In fact the night before we wrote our BECE final paper, that was Ga language it had rained and my uniform was wet by I wore it like that to write the paper. I remember several nights of studies with mosquitoes in the market, at Super stars and sometime at our school classrooms even at the peril of our health. I was determined to change my life through education. 

End of Part 1 , watch out for part 2 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s